Messing about in boats since 1975.  Online Since 1997.

Kasten Marine Design, Inc. Logo - Copyright 2017 Michael Kasten

Home  |  Intro  |  Our Design Process  |  Stock Design Info  |  Motor Yacht Designs  |  Sailing Yacht Designs   |  Prototype Designs
Plans List  |  Articles  |  Our CAD Design Stream  |  Maxsurf  |  News..!  |  SITE MAP..!  |  Site Search  | Design Team  |  Contact Us

Please see the  AVAILABLE BOAT PLANS web page

An 80' Classic Clipper Bow Motor Yacht, The

"Fantail Steamer"

80' Motor Yacht - Steamer

Perspective Above Aft | Perspective Aft Side | Perspective Side Fwd | Sailing Above Aft | Sailing Aft

Copyright 2011 Michael Kasten


The 80' Fantail Steamer shown here is a classic motor yacht prototype, planned for worldwide sailing. The styling is intended to evoke the steam-yachts of yore - long and low craft originally derived from sailing vessels. In keeping with the use of a clipper bow, the fantail stern is also reminiscent of the steam yacht era. The overall size is sufficient to provide a variety of layout options, both on deck and below.

This design is a further development of my Steamer 60 prototype, and my Chantage 64 design. In this case however we have elected to use a fully rounded hull form - one that can be built using flat plate on 95% of the surface, with the remaining 5% being "rolled" at the turn of the bilge.

Sailing ability has been considered important as primary propulsion, but also for the outstanding synergy achieved whilst motor sailing. As always, in order to be functional as a sailing vessel it is imperative to keep the superstructure as low as possible in order to minimize windage. Here we have a good compromise, with a long and low deck house, and a very capable sailing rig. The clipper style bow allows the sail rig to be spread out to the maximum extent via use of a bowsprit of generous proportions. This allows the vessel to achieve adequate sail area without the rig becoming too tall.

With regard to the keel, in order to favor sailing ability tandem centerboards have been planned. However it would be very workable to have a sailing type of keel - even to the point of having a cruising fin keel with skeg-hung rudder for maximum windward ability. This is a decision that would be made based on depth of the intended cruising waters, vs the desire for maximum performance to windward. In other words, an option.


The interior layout is imagined as follows... A pilot house and navigation / observation area would be right forward in the deck house. Just aft of the piloting area would be a day-head to starb'd and a spiral stair to port. The remainder of the deck house would be a large saloon and dining room, with large double doors opening onto the aft deck. The aft deck is sufficiently large to allow generous wrap-around seating and a central table - plenty large for entertaining, especially with the doors open to the saloon and dining room forward.

Below forward is a large owner's cabin, with en-suite head and shower. Just aft of that is a guest head and twin staterooms, one having bunks and the other having a guest double berth. Aft of that, below the pilot house is a large galley and second dining area. Fuel and water tanks are located to port and starb'd within the galley and below the galley sole.

Aft of the galley is the engine room. A single diesel is arranged with a "V" drive in order to limit overall engine room length. A generator is located forward and outboard. Access to the engine space is via a large pneumatically operated lift-hatch in the saloon sole above.

Below the aft deck is the lazarette, the steering rams, autopilot, and considerable storage area. Below the forward deck, the fo'c's'l provides storage for the anchoring gear, rode, dock lines and so forth.

The exterior deck is at one level all the way from the transom to the bow, and provides ample walk-around space.


As with all of our designs, the 80' Fantail Steamer is planned to comply with the EU rules regarding safety, and stability. Structure will be specified according to the ABS scantling rule for Motor Pleasure Yachts, and stability will comply with ISO standards for offshore vessels under sail. The hull and superstructure are planned to be all aluminum, although steel, GRP or wood are equally possible.

Interior materials are envisioned as being highly traditional in order to provide an elegance reminiscent of a comfortable paneled library. The finest yacht finish has been specified both inside and out.


Length on Deck: 80 feet
Length on WL: 70.75 feet
Average Draft: 7.5 feet
Beam: 20 feet
Light Ship Target Displacement: 210,000 lbs

Engine: John Deere
Gear: Twin Disc or ZF 'V' drive


The Fantail Steamer is intended to be a truly classic yacht in every respect - one that is fully adapted to world cruising with a generous measure of luxury.

For more information about this vessel or our other motor yacht designs please inquire.